Loving My Pain Free Life
About Me
Loving My Pain Free Life

My name is Melinda Johnson and I suffered with foot pain for many years. I went to see a podiatrist and after an examination, I was told that I had heel spur syndrome. I followed the recommendations of my doctor by doing at home treatments along with physical therapy. I was amazed at how much these treatments helped my foot pain. Living with pain can have a big impact on your life and that's why I started this blog. My foot pain kept me from doing many things that I enjoy and I want to help others who are going through the same situation. As you browse through my blog, you'll learn about home treatments, medical procedures and new advancements in medicine that can help reduce pain. It is my hope that by writing this blog, you can live pain free too.


Loving My Pain Free Life

Need Temporary In-Home Health Care For Your Immobilized Child? What Should You Consider?

Claire Roberts

If your young child has suffered a temporary health setback—whether paralysis caused by Lyme Disease or Guillain-Barre Virus (GBV) or immobility caused by a broken pelvis or fractured spine—that has left him or her unable to walk and perform personal care tasks, you may be wondering whether you'll need to quit your job or take an extended, unpaid leave of absence to care for your child around the clock. Even if you're eligible to take time off under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) without fear of losing your job, you may worry how you'll be able to manage financially, especially when medical bills begin to roll in. 

Often, a home healthcare provider like United Senior Services home health care providers can provide you with some respite and even give you the opportunity to return to work a few days a week. Read on to learn more about the specific services a home health care worker can provide, as well as how you may want to proceed to help you and your family continue to manage your child's temporary immobility. 

What benefits can a home health care worker bring to an immobile child? 

Home health care workers are often employed to provide direct medical care to those who are unable to care for themselves but whose conditions aren't serious enough to necessitate the round-the-clock care provided by a hospital or inpatient rehabilitation facility. This can be an ideal arrangement for children who have been rendered immobile by injury or illness, 

In order for home health care workers to be covered by your health insurance or a short-term disability policy, they'll need to be responsible for providing solely medical treatment, like performing examinations, changing bandages or dressings, or administering medication. Help with "duties of living"—like feeding, getting dressed, and using the restroom—can be accomplished by non-healthcare aides and paid for privately.

What else can you do to facilitate your return to work? 

Often, especially if your child is old enough to entertain him- or herself for a few hours unsupervised, you'll be able to return to work full-time by designing a schedule that will have a home health care aide and a personal aide visiting your home a few times a day to help your child with the tasks he or she can't perform alone. By having these helpers check in regularly, you'll ensure your child is never left without assistance for more than an hour or two—and by having these services available so that you can return to work more quickly, you'll be in a better position to rush home occasionally for urgent situations without putting your job at risk.